for the substructure of the C.P.R. railroad bridge
was let January 24th, 1910 to J.D. McArthur and
Company. Work was expected to begin in a short
time however; plans were not completed yet and
were held up waiting for a decision from the Provincial
Government as to whether it would build an attachment
Toward the end of 1911 when the substructure
was nearing completion, the Provincial Government
had not arrived at a decision. The C.P.R. then
decided to re-machine the steel from the old
Lachine Bridge from Quebec and use it in Outlook.
This super structure was not suitable for attaching
a traffic bridge.
When the large excavation from the main abutment
on the east side of the river was completed,
the bridge would be three quarters of a mile
long and over 156 feet high and cost one million
dollars. This structure would then be the second
largest railway bridge in Canada.
In August, the river began to rise to a level
five feet above normal. A hole was cut in the
west pier to allow water out to protect the
Cofferdam from the raging currents. In December
1911 the workmen were able to get a lot done
due to the warm weather. Seven of the immense
girders were put into position having only
five spans left to do. In 1912 the footbridge
was removed much to the dismay of the people.
It was used by the workmen going to and from
The bridge was formally opened October 23rd,
1912. The first train to cross the bridge came
from the west. It consisted of 29 cars loaded
with wheat. Then safely across, the engineer
blew the whistle, as did the other engines
responding in the yard.
The last official train to cross the bridge
was on March 16th, 1987.